The Apple USB SuperDrive and MacBook Air SuperDrive are perfect with any Mac made after 2008 that doesn’t have a worked in optical drive.
You can interface your Apple USB SuperDrive to the USB port on your Mac, or to the USB port on a Cinema Display (24-inch LED), LED Cinema Display (27-inch), or Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) that is associated with your Mac.
To associate your SuperDrive to your MacBook (2015 and later), or your MacBook Pro (2016 and later), you can use one of these connectors:
- USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter*
- USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter*
- USB-C to USB Adapter
Long time prior, I purchased an outside Apple USB SuperDrive for my MacBook PRO 17″ late 2010, in which I had supplanted the worked in superdrive by a SSD to accelerate the machine.
Just to discover, in the same way as other individuals, that Apple keeps the superdrive to be used with Mac models that initially accompanied an inherent superdrive. These days, Apple does not offer these models any more, but rather a significant number of these more established Macs are still great machines, particularly when moved up to SSD like my MBP.
With some examination and hacking in 2011, I discovered that Apple builds apparently wanted to test the superdrive with authoritatively not upheld Macs themselves, so the driver as of now has a choice implicit to chip away at any machine.
I couldn’t trust that it may be the case that simple, however I altered that file, snared my “MacBook Air SuperDrive” to my MacBook Pro, rebooted, and voilà! It worked. I did likewise with my Black MacBook, and it worked splendidly as well.
(For the individuals who like specifics, my MacBook Pro is a MacBookPro2,2 running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549), and the MacBook is a MacBook4,1 running Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50).)
Presently it’s conceivable that there is some justifiable reason that Apple has confined the use of the Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive to only the MacBook Air and the Mac Mini. It’s additionally conceivable that they’re concerned that individuals may be confused on the off chance that they have in excess of one SuperDrive associated with their PCs. Or on the other hand it’s conceivable that it works fine and dandy and Apple will in the end lift the confinement once the SuperDrive is expelled from whatever is left of the MacBook line.
How Do I Make SuperDrive Work on Unsupported Mac
Move down your Mac and information with Time Machine or your backup technique for decision before starting, this is simply on the off chance that something turns out badly
- Open the “Terminal” application found in/Applications/Utilities/, or you can open it through Spotlight
- Enter the accompanying order language structure at the charge incite precisely as it appears:
- sudo nvram boot-args=”mbasd=1″
- Hit the Return key and enter the executive secret key when asked for, as required by sudo
- Stop out of Terminal
- Close down the Mac by setting off to the Apple menu and picking “Close Down”
- Associate the Apple SuperDrive to the Mac by USB once it is controlled off
- Fail, when the Mac boots up again the SuperDrive should now function not surprisingly